[TenTec] Orion II Reviews?-Follow up

Ron Castro ronc at sonic.net
Sun Feb 5 21:04:06 EST 2006

Indeed the Mon function works fine on the O2, although as some have pointed
out, it's not very loud.  Perhaps with higher impedance headphones it might
sound louder.  I have been using the external speaker from my TS-870 (a
Kenwood SP-31) which has a headphone output on the front, and if I plug in
there, the Main AF level affects the monitor level, which it does not in the
headphones.  It can get plenty loud that way if you need it.

It also gets quite loud in the regular headphone output when you crank up
the speech processor.  The SP really kicks butt!  With no external
processing, the xmit EQ at -20, TX filter BW at 2850, LF Rolloff at 300 HZ,
you can run the processor up to 9 with no distortion, but you'll hear much
background noise. At any setting over 3, it will slice through a pile-up
like a hot knife through butter.  It will blow the doors off the big contest
boys!

I use the W2IHY 8-band EQ and EQ-Plus, and with the bass rolled off on those
boxes and normal flat settings on the O2, SP at 4, it's great for DX and
contests.  By bringing back up the bass on the IHY and turning SP off, the
O2 sounds like a broadcast station.

Since I didn't have the radio before the current update, I can't compare,
but I have noticed that the S-meter readings are overly generous above S-9,
and a little stingy below.  I measured the response with an HP 8640B signal
generator and confirmed that the meter reads as much as 22 dB higher than it
should on strong signals, and about 12 dB less on weak ones. All readings
were taken with the preamp off, and of course they get 2 S-Units or 12 dB
higher when it's on.  It would be nice if there was a selectable option that
automatically compensated for the preamp as there is in my old TS-870.  I
sent the information today to Ten Tec and I'll see what the response is.

Ron
N6AHA