[TenTec] Question about FSK with Orion II

Chas Nagel cnagel at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 19 12:22:04 EST 2006

Sorry, pin 3 below should read pin 4. Typo.

  Charles, K0CW

Chas Nagel <cnagel at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
  Hi Ken,

I think you could probably do that but what I did was wire another plug for FSK, audio out from pin 3 and FSK out from pin 7. Saves disassembling and modifying the Orion. Yes it struck me as stange that Ten-Tec furnished the cable without a pin 7 connection. Pin 7 connects to key-out of my Rigblaster plus and pin 3 goes to the sound card input of the computer. A serial cable runs between the Rigblaster plus and the computer. The Orion is a good FSK rig and I am now presently using it in that mode. Works real good with the 250 Hz filter.

Charles, K0CW

CaseKE at aol.com wrote:
I would like to use the Auxiliary I/O plug and cable sent with the Orion II
without modification if possible. The I/O socket is 8-pin and the plug is
5-pin. Pin 5 of the socket is a "no connection (NC)," but pin 5 of the plug does
have a wire connected to it (Red). FSK is available on pin 7 of the socket,
but there is no pin 7 of the plug (does this strike anybody else as strange?).
Can I simply put a jumper from pin 5 of the socket to pin 7 of the socket
(or alternatively rewire pin 7 to pin 5) so I have FSK on pin 5 of the supplied
plug and cable?

Thanks, Ken K5KC