[TenTec] Orion II wannabe

John Nason / NA9U na9u at arrl.net
Mon Feb 20 13:26:23 EST 2006

I'll relate my experience with the Orion II on the
ARRL DX.  The QRM was enormous so I set the Orion for
300 hz roofing filters and 100 Hz DSP.  I then moved
very slowly with the VFO set to 10 and went from
signal to signal.  Very nice because one signal would
fade away when another would appear and it sounded
like it was just me and him.  I kept the reciever
fairly open between 95 and 100 but with the filters so
tight the noise was not too bad.  I used programmable
AGC of .04 hang, 60 dB/s and 0.50 uV threshold.

I worked sporadically and logged 10 hours with a score
of 111,186 score, 251 Q's and 142 multipliers.  A
modest score but a personal best.

My old Kenwood would never have let me do this even
with the audio filter I used with it.  The Kenwood had
500hz filter which does not cut it on these types of
signals.