[TenTec] Argosy II Mods

Mike Hyder -N4NT- mike_n4nt at charter.net
Mon Feb 27 08:26:04 EST 2006

I put an RF gain control in/on a 525D.  The circuit diagram for the
modification was provided by Ten-Tec.  I just mounted it externally for my
test.  The thing was totally unsatisfactory -- as I recall, it somehow
messed up the metering and maybe the QSK.  I couldn't get rid of it fast
enough.  I never put any other modifications in the rig but have it fully
loaded with all options.  The biggest improvement I noticed was when I
substituted the model 220 eight pole SSB filter in place of the stock four
pole filter.

About Embedded Research...  As I understand it, their audio filter for the
Argosy was made under license from Ten-Tec.  It was a high quality clone --
it even looked as if the circuit board was identical to the original.  One
had to mount all the components (which were included with the kit) onto the
board.  I built one and was ever so glad that I had an original to go by --
it made knowing what to put where even easier.

Embedded Research may yet be around but in a different line of business now.
They may have some boards laying about.  You might be able to research it
and find callsigns that will take you to someone who knows about it.

73, Mike N4NT