[TenTec] PSK/RTTY Which rig?

Dave Tipton dave at lodave.org
Wed Jul 5 09:42:56 EDT 2006

To clarify... I have no intentions of running 100 Watts on PSK.  I was only interested in having the extra power on RTTY, since it has no forward error correction, etc.  I'm not running a sound card interface, I'll be putting a KAM-XL on it, and using it part time for Packet, and part time for RTTY and PSK31.  These are the only 3 modes I have any real interest in at this point.  It goes to me setting up a lightweight, yet, extremely effective contest and DX station.  You give yourself every advantage you can, with what resources you have.

  Case in point.. I have 4 Element Tribander (KLM/M2 KT34XA) ready to go on top of a 60 foot tower.  That doesn't mean I didn't put up a Gap Titan DX at 15 feet in the air primarily for working some DX.

  Dave

Bob Towers <2m0kdz at beeb.net> wrote:

======= 06-7-5 6:07, your message: [TenTec] PSK/RTTY Which rig?=======

I am looking seriously at getting another rig, to run PSK31 and RTTY on. I have a Jupiter now, that run Voice and CW with, but I'd like to pick upanother "Something" just to dedicate to digital modes.

The only criterion that I'm trying to meet, is that it must be a 100 Watt rig.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what might be available on the used market?

Thanks,
Dave, W5DMT
Dave,

A lot of so-called 100 watt rigs won't manage 100 watts on PSK31 or RTTY because these are 100% duty modes, in contrast to SSB or CW. Most of them won't manage more than 40-50 watts.

I use my Omni V.9. With Carl Moreschi's replacement ROM, the serial port behaves itself - essential for CAT - and the rig will do 100 watts output without giving any impression of being stressed. So go for an Omni.

Why do you want 100 watts, anyway? 50 watts is more than adequate for these modes in my experience. 20 watts on my Argonaut V is pretty good, especially using Olivia.

73

Bob
2M0KDZ