[TenTec] Lousy eHam Review?

John Rippey jrippey at 3n.net
Wed Jul 5 12:27:15 EDT 2006

I enjoyed reading Jerry Volpe's comments re the Jupiter. I own one,
an OMNI VI (Opt 3), Mark V Field, and an Argosy 525 (don't laugh!).

Of these rigs, I enjoy using the Jupiter the most because of the
ergonomics and, frankly, its appearance. (Using the Argosy is a
hoot.) Whoever designed the Jupiter's front panel did some very
careful calibrating of how to make the Jupiter both attractive and
user-friendly. Added to that is the very handy accessory keypad. The
fact that the front end crumbles in a contest means that it cannot be
one's contest rig. But it can serve very well in many (CW)
environments. My druthers would be to have the OMNI VI's receiver
performance in the Jupiter, but alas . . .

In fact, a number of previous posters over the last several years
have expressed an interest in Ten-Tec's producing something between
the Jupiter and Orion in performance, but Scott Robbins' replies have
thrown cold water on the suggestions. So Jerry probably is right,
that Ten-Tec's technical staff is just not up to the task of
producing anything new when the ORION is taking up the bulk of their
time--and I'm sure there are financial considerations at work as
well. Unfortunately, as time goes by the Jupiter and Argonaut V will
seem less and less competitive in the marketplace. For better or
worse, Ten-Tec's management seems to have staked the company's future
on the ORION.

This is a great reflector.

73,
John, W3ULS