[TenTec] Is Orion really worth it? Given the published problems?

William Addams wiladdamsham at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 17 10:45:16 EDT 2006

Reading this reflector, those are the questions that comes to my mind.
I am studying to become a ham, working with a friend of mine who is a Ham, which has an Orion and an Orion 2, and it seems that the problems posted on here about the Orion, my friend never seems to run across.
His Orion 2 has never locked up, NR works beautifully, NB works great, AN notches out all adjacent carriers, and has a wonderful time on contesting, QRP, CW, and vox modes.
Yet, if one were to believe what is posted on this reflector.
The Orions haven't worked right since the version 1 software of the original Orion.
His Orions are upgraded with the latest software, and all work flawlessly.
Yes, some values in some settings had to change, but that is to be expected given that AGC operates differently depending upon if it is in the IF chain or not.
Same can be said for the other "software" type features that relate to DSP filtering and sound processing.
But, if I read this reflector on a daily business, the Orion is so broke that TenTec will go out of business in a matter of monthes.
I'm sure glad that I had a chance to watch and listen to my friend playing with his Orion(s), otherwise, I wouldn't be interested in the last American made rig and would be looking at the Japs.
To that end, can some one please identify what the specific problems with your Orion are? Exactly what HW configuration and software configuration you are using. I'm meaning to the point of identifying the microphones, the amplifiers, tuners, etc.
It seems to me, that upon reading this reflector, all but 2 or 3 of the major problems, have almost always turned out to be someone has his micro phone adjusted improperly, or it turned out to be a short on his own wiring, or something else of a cockpit error, rather than any kind of real issue with the Orion.

I'll be glad when the ARRL publishes its findings on the Orion 2. Undoubtedly they will be smart enough to test the rig, and not just publish what others are saying on this reflector. And if they do read this reflector, they should test those features that people say are problems, BEFORE they simply take others words for it. After all, lots of problems seen on here, turned out to be cockpit error.

OK, flame suit on.
Wil