[TenTec] Unhappy Orion 2 Owner

Richard Williams richardw at mho.com
Mon Jul 31 20:38:49 EDT 2006

John,

I think you just got a "Fri afternoon special".  I have had my Orion II
since about the third week they were available.   Can say that I have not
had any problems with it at all.   It has been on 24 hrs a day now since the
first YU6 came on the air, and it has performed flawlessly.

By the way, I had a FT1000D and had to send it back to Yaesu three times for
repairs.  The second time was for a problem with the SWR foldback circuit
that is suppose to protect the finals from burning out if the SWR is too
high.   I even told them exactly what was wrong with it and they kept it
about a month;  their "ace" tech put new finals in it, but did not fix the
foldback circuit.  I had even called their service dept while it was there
to no avail.

When I got it back, I checked to see if the foldback was working and it was
not, so I ran her up to full power and blew the finals again.  Sent it back
(in warrenty this time) and told them to replace the finals and fix the
problem that was blowing the finals (they did).

Dick K8ZTT