[TenTec] Just noticed ...

geraldj geraldj at storm.weather.net
Mon Jun 12 08:45:01 EDT 2006

All SSB radios that produce AM at low level run only 25 watts of carrier because the
peak power of AM is 4 times the carrier power and the peak power capability of most
radios is only 100 watts. Thats NOT reduced carrier AM unless the operator overdrives
the audio. Then the audio is set to match the carrier power so it doesn't clip on
modulation peaks, then the signal has the capability of being as good as AM gets. Its
easy to over drive linears and all stages of the SSB radio are linears and so to
introduce distortion (and splatter).

73, Jerry, K0CQ