[TenTec] Orion SP on 2.056 vs 1.372

Martin Ewing martin.ewing at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 09:22:56 EDT 2006

(A certain amount of rude language seems to go with ham radio -- or the
Internet, but caps lock is de trop.)

Anyway, I tried to phrase my report & question carefully.  The fact
seems to be that v2 firmware gives ~ 3 dB less output power with SP than
does v1.  So, running SSB/SP with v1 on the Orion, I have half an S-unit
advantage over any Orion II! (Probably more than that, when you consider
the SP's improved signal intelligibility.)

Maybe the market will figure this out and the pricing of used Orions
will go up.  You have a lot more firmware versions to choose from with
the Classic model. ;-)

73 Martin AA6E