[TenTec] Centaur cooling...'final solution'

Roy Koeppe royanjoy at ncn.net
Tue Jun 20 14:43:38 EDT 2006

About,

"It is a NOISY amp. I'd love an opportunity to quiet it down. (etc.)"

My Titan-2 was also a very noisy amp. It even shook the table. Collins
solved the problem in the '50s by using a remote located blower. I built
a remote blower system for the Titan. A powerful squirrel cage unit is
located in a nearby closet with a ten-foot clothes dryer hose running to
a base platform which the amp sits on top of. Air is forced up through
the original bottom opening. A thick felt gasket seals it off. This
concept might be adapted to other amps even if a little metal cutting is
necessary, as the reward is sweet near-silence in the shack while
running QRO. BTW, since the Titan uses an external anode tube, I filter
the air intake to the blower.

73,    Roy     K6XK