[TenTec] 400 Hz CW

Ronald Hands rhands at mountaincable.net
Sat Mar 4 12:58:30 EST 2006

Larry Menzel wrote:
   Anyway, as a result of that experience, I have
> considerably less hearing on my left side than on my right.  In fact I have
> to have a small audio amp inline so I can equalize the signal from the rigs
> or the right ear is quite a bit more sensitive, and when listening to weak
> signals, I really need the biaural sense to hear well.

   I, too, have more hearing loss in the left ear (and never
drove a truck!).
   After I had failed on many occasions to comprehend her
pronouncements, my wife finally insisted that I get a hearing
aid.  Which I did.  It was prescribed and supplied through a
local hospital, which made me fairly confident that it was really
needed and was chosen to fit my requirements.  Couldn't be happier.
   My ideas of hearing aids dated from decades ago, when they
often were plagued with feedback and simply didn't work very
well.  That's not true these days.  Mine has built-in
equalization (computer adjusted) so that it exactly complements
my hearing loss.  It's a tiny in-the-ear device and I often
forget I'm wearing it.  I have no trouble wearing it with
headphones, and the particular model I have automatically adjusts
its gain for telephone conversations (I think it senses the
magnet in the telephone earpiece).  I'm hearing all sorts of
nuances in classical music these days that I haven't heard for
many years.
    MIne happens to be Oticon but I'm sure there are many similar
brands.  The electronics in these things are so tiny that they
makes SMT look gigantic.
    Well worth considering, I'd suggest, if you want to hear well
all the time.

-- Ron
VE3SP