[TenTec] Effect of roofing filter selection on Orion II NB

Grant Youngman nq5t at comcast.net
Mon Mar 13 19:23:17 EST 2006

> >Found that DSP NB performance was greatly improved by
> >setting the roofing filter selection to 20 Khz, and also
> > improved although less so at 6 KHz.

>          Which illustrates my previous point that there is
> nothing NR does that turning BW down manually will not do
> (and much faster).

Except for the fact that I was talking about the NB and not NR :-)

To your point, I've come to the conclusion that while you're generally
correct, NR does add to SNR even at very narrow bandwidths.  I found in
testing that NR will improve the apparent (S+N)/N ratio around 10dB even at
100 Hz bandwidth.  Rough number, but it is bigger that breadbox .. :-)

Grant/NQ5T