[TenTec] Effect of roofing filter selection on Orion II NB

HENRY PFIZENMAYER pfizenmayer at worldnet.att.net
Tue Mar 14 00:35:23 EST 2006

Grant -- I feel I see the same on NR -- because of my terrible noises , I
run 100 cycles BW virtually all the time and especially on 80 and 40
meters - I am pretty convinced I hear better with NR cranked in HARD (8 or
9) - I have no measurements but fer instance last night on 40 TZ6DEL was
extremely weak and fading in and out with occasional good peaks to
maybeS3!!!!! It took me maybe ten minutes to be sure of his call and that he
was listening up 2. Fired up the trusty Centurion on one peak , called , and
when he came back I had to use ESP to get my call - so I listened for
another 10 minutes playing with all the bells and whistles- threshold versus
RF gain  vs NB on or off vs roofing filter BW but always came back to NR in
hard (even though it gets pretty harsh) -  anyhow he sneaked up out of the
noise real good one more time , I called , and this time was 100 percent
copy , my call and the usual hilarious 599 report . (Of course I played the
game with a 599 AZ even if he was only copiable 5 percent of the time !!!!)

 Re the noise generator/small signal -- I was thinking of a 3 db hybrid
combiner to combine my noise generator and the Elecraft XG1 with a pulser -
and with variable attenuation between both sources and the hybrid -Then I
was just going to watch on a scope as I played with things to get the most
signal above the noise . Also gonna look back thru some old papers - kinda
seems like back years ago when I was playing 2 meter VHF stuff with a KW big
array and all the latest converter front ends (417a , 416B etc) somebody had
a slick pulsed weak signal source.

 Even back then I still think I could hear more weak stuff with my HQ129x as
an IF instead of my 75A2A as an IF rx!!!!!

 73 de Hank K7HP