[TenTec] Orion & SDR1000 thoughts

k6kdk at k6kdk.net k6kdk at k6kdk.net
Thu Mar 30 11:50:47 EST 2006

Martin,

Well, I wondered how long it would take before someone mentioned the "F"
Word here on the reflector!

I thought about starting the troll myself, but because of some of my
it and just kept quiet.

Anyway, I have one on order and should be here in a couple of weeks. I will
let you know (maybe in private email) when I do the A/Bs on it.

You do, of course realize, that the Flex is not intended (at this time, in
its present config) to be a contest rig. No second reciever, no audio split
into headphones, etc. etc./ So a comparision is not really a fair fight.
Weak signal DX work, though, is fair game, but maybe more on SSB than CW.
Unless you have very fast PC hardware the latency will not allow effective
CW at above 15-20 WPM. (All this is changing rapidly, as the code is being
worked on intensively and these short commings witll be fixed, they are even
working on code for "quad" recieve"!!)

But all that aside I will say this (Oh.. Oh... here comes the hate mail in
my inbox!).. Flex has some inhouse positives on the software development
side. In order to write software of this complexity you need: 1.) very
sophisticated revision and specification tools and 2.)  three layers of
coding prefessionals, one layer with DSP core experience, one layer with
assembly language experience in the control processor (in this case it's not
a MOT  "dragonball", but a PC), and a third layer with user interface and
Beta testing user feed-back/analysis experience and overall project
management... I am afraid, in these regards, it has TT beat hands down.

I also follow the Flex reflector and development project with great
interest.  Feed back from the development team is EXCELLENT on their
reflector. You get to talk directly with the people doing the coding, and
better yet you can look at the source code youself.  This is a big positive
for me ( a retired developer ), but maybe the going is a little heavy at
times for the average user.   Martin, glad you have a thick enough skin to
mention it here...

73s  -Dan K6KDK