[TenTec] 2.033

Grant Youngman nq5t at comcast.net
Tue May 2 17:38:00 EDT 2006

> The NR does still add raspiness to the CW signal but it seems
> to greatly reduce background noise more so than 2.032.

Could just be AGC settings, or the characteristics of today's noise.  A
quick check at the behavior on a spectrum analyser with a constant carrier
signal in the passband doesn't show anything significantly different from
previous releases.

I've also come to think that what sounds like a bit of raspiness is actually
the noise in the passband varying at the same rate as the signal.  With no
signal, it sounds quiet.  WITH signal, the noise comes back up.  So what you
hear is "quiet background, noisy dit, quiet background, noisy dash", etc.
It's fairly easy to adjust a waterfall display to show this effect quite
clearly on CW.  I think (maybe) that it's the varying background noise
creating an illusion of "distortion".  Not 100% on that, but it's today's
wild conjecture.  It may also be what causes the sense of some distortion on
SSB when NR is active, although it's hard to see anything very conclusive on
a dynamic SSB signal.

Might deserve a closer look.

Disclaimer:  I do not hate my Orion II.  I am not bashing the Orion II.  My
Orion II is not for sale.  I'm only feeling the side of something large,
gray, and hairy in an attempt to figure out what it is, and maybe learn
something in the process.

Grant/NQ5T