[TenTec] Orion 565 AT Ver2.059

Barry Gross barry.n1eu at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 07:14:51 EST 2006

On 11/4/06, Jerry Volpe <kg6tt at arrl.net> wrote:
> I can see that this is yet another thread where people become quickly
> 'polarized' and somewhat 'territorial' so this is my last posting on
> this subject.

With all due respect Jerry, it's postings like yours that in itself
tend to polarize the issue.  By this I mean that your posting can be
seen to make a concerted effort to "debunk" firmware problem reports
made in good faith by knowledgeable users.  We all need to give a
little space to each other, and leave open the possibility that
there's some truth in what is being reported.

Perhaps it bears mentioning that a public firmware problem report is
NOT an attack on Ten-Tec's good reputation.  With very few exceptions,
all these owners reporting issues are huge supporters of the people
and company that is Ten-Tec.  They also are NOT attacking the Orion -
they use and love the Orion, but want to see it continue to improve to
its potential.

Part of the problem might be that the firmware beta test group was
disbanded.  With that group, members would make every effort to
investigate/duplicate problems reported by each other, with more
careful measurements and repeatable test conditions and without the
politics that often occur on this reflector.

Currently, there's no clear feedback mechanism from Ten-Tec on their
view of problems now being reported.  Whether or not it's true,
problem reporters can only imagine that if their issue seems to get
"debunked" here, that there's little hope that their voiced concerns
will get attention by the company.

73,
Barry N1EU