[TenTec] Firmware 2.59d .... differing opinions should be solicited... don't you think?

Carl Moreschi n4py at arrl.net
Sat Nov 4 20:48:46 EST 2006

This brings up a very good point.  I use 2.059d exclusively now.  I am an
avid DX'er on both CW and phone.  For phone operation I use a tentec 234 RF
speech processor.  I have a audio transformer on the output of the 234.  The
234 gives much better compression and talk power than any of the speech
processors on the Orion on any version.  I can get more compression and much
higher average power this way.  Does my voice sound normal this way?  Not at
all.  But it has tremendous punch and intelligibility this way.  This is
what a speech processot should do.  So I don't care about whether the speech
processor in V1 or V2 is better.  And by adding the audio transformer on the
output of the speech processor, my audio is guaranteed to be isolated from
ground so I have no distortion.  This solves all kinds of problems for me.

I also much prefer the AGC that is in V2.  I believe it works much better on
very weak signals, especially with thunder crashing on 80 and 160.  I also
very much like the live sweep on V2.  I can tell in an instant how open a
band is just by looking at the sweep display.  I also very much like the
much faster serial port response from V2.  This is important to me because I
run my N4PY software exclusively when I use my Orion.   Also, I find V2
extremely stable.  I would prefer the manual and auto notch to be in the AGC
loop but in reality I find I rarely use these features.  I never use a notch
on CW since if there is interference I just use a tighter filter.  On phone,
once in a while there will be an interfering hetrodyne, and the audio notch
works fine to take it out.  I have not seen many times when it has been a
problem that the notch is not in the AGC loop.  I don't have any problem
with the sub-receiver on AM because I use my rx340 for all AM listening.

The point of all this is it depends on what you do and how you operate as to
whether you are better off with V1 or V2.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
121 Little Bell Drive
Bell Mountain
Hays, North Carolina 28635