[TenTec] #218 filter

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at hawaiiantel.net
Tue Oct 3 13:21:42 EDT 2006

The easiest way to check a filter (if having the expensive lab equipment
is easy) is to sweep it with a spectrum analyzer / tracking generator.
If you don't have access to one of those ( not the kind of gear
accountants typically can bring home from the office for a weekend )
Then you can do the same thing manually by tuning across a CW carrier
and logging the audio output level at perhaps 50 Hz intervals. The AGC
needs to be turned off, and you do need an AC voltmeter or other
instrument such as an oscilloscope to tell you the audio level. Plot the
data on a cartesian plane. You need to make a audio output level versus
frequency plot.  You also need to have the  BFO frequency far enough
from the skirt of the filter so that the low end audio rolloff of the
audio stages does not mess up you measurements at that end of the plot.
You probably also want to do the same to another known good (not
necessarily the same bandwidth) filter.

I think you need a basic analog, or at least not too digital, radio to
do this. The Orion will probably not be the radio to use for this
measurement, unless you have control of the BFO frequency, and can
really turn off all forms of automatic gain control.

DE N6KB