[TenTec] UCW and LCW

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Sun Oct 29 21:58:05 EST 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 17:25 -0500, Martin AA6E wrote:

> Yes for some radios, but not the Orion.  The Orion "dial" frequency is
> the center of the passband for LCW or UCW if PBT=0.  An incoming signal
> at that freq. produces a tone at the sidetone/spot freq., e.g., 700 Hz.
>   The difference between LCW and UCW is what happens when you tune off
> frequency, say up by 100 Hz.  For LCW, the audio tone will go up (like
> tuning an LSB voice signal). For UCW, the tone goes down (like USB voice).
>
> I have never seen the need for both LCW and UCW.  I always use LCW
> myself.  Just personal preference.
>
> 73 Martin AA6E

When working VHF with transverters, its really handy to be able to work
CW and SSB without retuning and so to work CW on the USB mode. Not all
radio makers understand that and some shift the receiver when changing
mode. In a contest when the shift is needed to work a very weak signal,
that can be disastrous. And then some automatically shift to LSB for CW
and that's even worse. That's why I bought a Corsair II for IF use
rather than the more modern Omni V or VI which swap sidebands for CW
which is intolerable in the mixed mode operations on VHF and up.
--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,