[TenTec] UCW and LCW

Ron Morell ron at morell.us
Mon Oct 30 10:17:57 EST 2006

This is interesting Sinisa.  I wonder if the ORION and ORION II operate the
same in this regard.  I notice on my ORION II that the tone of the received
signal is the same in LCW or UCW as long as the receiver is zero beat on the
received signal.  I also notice that when changing from UCW to LCW that the
screen display shows the pass band moving from one side of center to the
other.  As a practical matter it seems to completely eliminate some
interfering signals when I change from UCW to LCW.  I suppose the
interference reduction will depend on the actual frequency of the
interfering signal, that is, whether it is above or below the "desired
signals" frequency.  Visually, I've observed this on the MixW water fall
display as well.  Some unwanted signals seem to have been completely removed
from the passband.  Of course an interfering signal that is within +/- 100
Hz or so will still be there and the tone of the interference will change,
higher or lower in pitch depending.

Maybe I need to work with this some more, but it does seem to have a
desirable effect in my application.
Ron
KA7U