[TenTec] Inflation Calculator

Charles Delaune chas118 at cableone.net
Sat Sep 2 22:35:13 EDT 2006

If one wanted to be able to afford top of the line Ham gear back in the
50's, 60's and early 70's, one pretty much needed to earn a doctor, lawyer,
or the like income. Of course ham radio gear was and still is a specialty
item. That is to say...not part of the consumer electronics market, but more
to the point - advances in manufacturing, and chip technology has made
consumer electronics AND ham radio (for the most part) more affordable for
the average Joe. Yes, I had Collins taste - like most everyone else, but
like most everyone else - was on a Heathkit budget! Hell, I remember paying
over $300 for a TI scientific calculator back in '74. That hurt, but I
needed it for college and you could no longer compete, using a slide rule.
Today you can get a much better electronic calculator for around $20! ...and
don't get me started on the personal computer market! Remember what those
things went for in the late 80's, and early 90's? Also, the fact that most
everything is now manufactured overseas for slave labor wages (China) has
contributed to all of this technology becoming more affordable for the
masses!  This, alone, makes me wonder how ANY American manufactured ham
radio can still be had. My hat is off to the boys in Tennessee! They MUST be
doing something right!  In any case, I for one will need a Prozac with a
shot of gin if they ever close their doors!