[TenTec] Orion Mic Woes - Sounds like RFI but Wasn't

k8vf_mark at centurytel.net k8vf_mark at centurytel.net
Sat Sep 2 22:41:53 EDT 2006

With 200 watts out on 75 meters, the Heil Proset "sounds great" with shield
on pin 2, ptt return on connector shell.

ANy reason that anyone can think of why this is not going to be acceptable?

(Snip)
I am trying something:

On Heil Proset I ran shield(mic return on this and every mic I have seen) to
pin 2.

Connected ptt return to mic connector shell by clamping under strain relief.

Technically this is what TT wants except ptt return is not a shield wire.

On dummy load the Heil sounds fine now.(it was total distortion before) I'll
put it on the air later to see if there is feedback to ptt circuit or
elsewhere.

P.S. I did this on my desk mic also and reports with 200 watts out are
"sounds good".

I'll let you folks know how the Heil works out.

Thanks to all for your advice and tolerance.

Mark
K8VF