[TenTec] 546 Omni C Questions

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at hawaiiantel.net
Sun Sep 10 14:50:28 EDT 2006

I have been looking at a 546. I think it might be a good rig for my XYL.
It has no concentric dual controls, and no menu driven functions. All
the controls are clearly labeled and visible right on the front panel,
and there are not very many of them. I think having fewer controls, and
all the important functions easily findable might be less intimidating,
to a less experienced ham, than the Omni VI, Paragon, TS-50 or TS-440
she has access to.

What is the "RESONATE" control? Is this sort of a receiver front end
preselector tuning or antenna trim control? How about the "ALC/NB"
control? Is this a single control that has two separate functions,
perhaps depending on operating mode? Does it work differently in SSB
versus CW? Is the NB function anything like in an Omni VI? What do they
mean by ALC? Is this a receiver audio or IF limiting function ( what is
usually called AGC ), or is it transmit ALC? Is the NB implemented in
the IF or in AF stages?

Thanks,

DE N6KB