[TenTec] 262 Power Supply

Mike Hyder -N4NT- Mike_N4NT at charter.net
Wed Sep 13 14:39:23 EDT 2006

The 262 and that genre did not have a crowbar circuit to protect your
equipment from overvoltage.  If you have a circuit failure in the
supply, you are likely to get 25 volts output to the rig.

Ten-Tec sold an overvoltage circuit board as an add-on.  You can check
to see if you have one by looking where the large red wire connects to
the supply's output connector.  If the board is installed, it will be
installed inside the back panel.  It is constructed on a 1 x 2 inch
circuit board with a fuse, an SCR and a zener.  Instructions say to cut
that red wire and connect it to the circuit board.

If your supply is not so equipped, there is a newer way to do the job.
All you do is fuse the output and then from the rig side of the fuse you
put a 1.5KE15A Transient Diode to ground.  Our thanks to Ariel for the
tip.  Follows his original email:

73, Mike N4NT

[TenTec] My second Ten Tec is a Triton IV.
      from [Ariel M. Elam] [Permanent Link][Original]