[TenTec] I need help in repairing my Argosy II

Giorgio Santantonio iz0dio at yahoo.it
Fri Sep 22 11:07:29 EDT 2006

Hi Ed and thank you for your reply.

  1) I did it and I'm waiting for a reply (You was faster)
  2) Yes, I there is any apparent mechanical friction
  3) If I try tu tune on same specific VFO position (2 turn and half, for instance), tuning is very difficult. In other position I don't have any problem and the VFO work perfectly
  4) The problem occur in Receive and Transmit mode and there isn't any thermal drift. It isn't a drift but a series of frequency jumping abt. 1 KHz wide
  5) The problem occurr in all the band at the same VFO positions, that's why I'm convinced is a PTO problem

  Thank you in advance and sorry for my poor English (I'm Italian)
  Giorgio

Ed - K9EW <k9ew57 at gmail.com> ha scritto:
  Hi Giorgio,

I have a couple of questions...

1) Have you called TenTec? They may be able to give you a very short
list of things to check.

2) Does your PTO tune smoothly?

3) When you tune in a signal, can you go directly to the frequency
you want, or do you have to rock the PTO back and forth to tune in the
signal?

4) If you stay in the Receive mode and don't transmit, does the
frequency jump occur? If it does, does it happen within a few minutes
of turn-on, or is it after the rig has "warmed up"?

5) Does this problem occur on all bands, or just one or two?

This may help narrow down the possible sources, and I'd highly
recommend a call to TenTec.

73,
ed - k9ew