[TenTec] Electric stove controls

Travis Martin tmartin198 at cox.net
Sun Apr 8 19:07:23 EDT 2007

It is a mechanical device, generally called an "infinite switch" in
the trade. A set of heavy contacts open and close on temperature;
there is a bimetallic strip that operates the contacts in response to
heat. The heat is supplied by a resistance element wound around the
bimetal strip that is in series with the element so that the heat
supplied to the bimetal is proportionate to the heat of the surface
element. Turning the knob from "warm" through the numbers to "hi"
turns a cam that supplies increasing bias tension to close the
contacts, such that it takes ever more heat to open them until, at
the "hi" setting, they never open.

I've never known one to cause RFI either; sounds like maybe a bad
connection is arcing, perhaps inside the switch. They carry some
fairly high currents; depending on the size of the surface element, 8
to 12 amps is normal. And you're right---the most common problem is
the female connectors in the receptacles burning up. When an infinite
switch fails, it usually fails to open, thus you get full heat at all
settings.

Travis