[TenTec] Darth Vader sounds

wa3fiy at radioadv.com wa3fiy at radioadv.com
Fri Apr 27 15:21:31 EDT 2007

Probably a case of WAY too much headphone sensitivity.  Many audio
problems can be minimized by adjusting headphone sensitivity such that you
have comfortable audio level in the 'phones with the volume control at
around 12:00 position.  Low impedance phones driven by the low
impedance unattenuated output of the Argosy usually require volume
settings just a little higher than full off.  Not good!

This is not unique to the Argosy by the way.  Any audio device that delivers
low impedance unattenuated output from a power stage to low impedance
'phones will have a poor signal to noise ratio.

You can reduce headphone sensitivity by putting a 220 ohm to 470 ohm
resistor in series with your phones.  Use a 1/4 watt resistor and solder inside
the phone plug.

73,

-Lee-

WA3FIY