[TenTec] FW: [orion565] Digest Number 853

Reg Unsworth reg.unsworth at btopenworld.com
Thu Aug 23 18:15:05 EDT 2007

Well, I've had my Orion for about 2.5 years now (from new).  Within a matter
of months the RIT/XIT problem arose on an intermittent basis.  Then just
before it was 12 months old, the display went down.  I took the rig in for
repair here in the UK (which was done straight away) and mentioned the
RIT/XIT problem.  They had never come across it and it did not appear while
the rig was on the bench.  Since then it has got progressively worse such
that the problem is there more than it isn't and I almost exclusively use
the 302 now for RIT and XIT.  When it first appeared the work around of
pulling out the RIT/XIT knob would work but that is less effective now.  I
don't think my particular version of the problem has anything to do with a
series of button pushes but it may be an intermittent solder joint.  This
rig has never seen a computer program or RS232 link.  Because of the various
problems with software upgrades it still has its original version 1.372b.

The rig is now exhibiting the flashing screen on switch on problem recently
raised on the reflector and will shortly have to take the rig in again.
This brings me to my other point.  Let me say straight away that I like the
Orion, despite its various idiosyncracies.  However, 3 problems on a rig
that costs the equivalent of $6,000 over here (not factoring in anything for
differences in cost of living) leaves a sour taste.  I smile at the
jingoistic rice-box smashing that goes on on this reflector.  I had 4
different rice boxes over 30 years before getting the Orion.  The number of
failures on this Orion now equals the number I had on the rice boxes over
those 30 years.  Maybe I've been lucky/unlucky.

I also smile at the "great service" comments too.  Yes, that is great - and
I wouldn't want it any other way.  TT have a great reputation for service.
However, it reminds me of many years ago when some guys I was working with
were telling me how they were improving our servicing so that customer
telephone calls could be answered and problems sorted quicker.  I suggested
it would be better to spend the money on preventing the problems (and phone
calls) arising in the first place.  They seemed a bit confused by this.

If a potential purchaser asked me for my opinion I think I would have to say
honestly that in my experience, it's performance (especially receive) is
great  but let down by its reliability - a bit like my recently "upgraded
high speed" internet connection.

YMMV

73

Reg G3WPF