[TenTec] TenTec] Orion Repaired and Back to V1.373b5

bob finger finger at goeaston.net
Thu Dec 13 12:07:21 EST 2007

I'm sorry you feel that way.  TenTec has built a fantastic radio in the Orion.  They were so far ahead of others and many of us have been VERY happy with the Orion performance.  The K3 is nice, but unless it is a BIWI buy you won't get much  more (ok 6 meters and a clock) nor more perfect just by switching to the K3.

I continue to run ver 1.373b5 on both my Orions without complaint.  There are no "bugs" that I cannot live with.  Those of us that went through the trials and tribulations of early firmware releases do not wish to relive that period.  TenTec did not let us down.  They continued to improve the radio and fix the "bugs" that we found.  In my 40 years of hamming I never owned a "perfect" radio and don't expect the Orion to be so.  I use it daily and remain amazed by its performance.  It does all I ask of it and more.

I for one would far rather TenTec expend their resources on products that will keep the company solvent than react to some folks who are not going to be made happy no matter what.  I want TenTec around for a while.  Its good for ham radio and good for the US economy.  Merry Christmas  73 bob de w9ge

Al W5IZ said in part:  Let me understand that I bought 2 TenTec Orions, an Orion and an Orion II, and paid for them in full.  The firmware has bugs years after the purchase.  TenTec is aware of the bugs and I should wait for them to do other things before fixing the bugs.  Sorry, companies lose customers by ignoring them in this manner.  I am certain that former TenTec customers have moved to the K3 and will continue to do so.  Perhaps that is a business strategy of TenTec to get the complainers to change loyalties to another supplier and whine on their reflectors instead.  There is certainly a lot of moaning about deliveries on the Elecraft site, so if it is TenTec's stratgegy it is working. 73 de Al, W5IZ