[TenTec] Paragon II question

Vic Klein vhklein at ptd.net
Wed Feb 21 07:46:47 EST 2007

The Paragon II was basically an updated version that included many of the
optional features of the original as standard, such as the RS-232 computer
interface. Additionally, and more to the point, it offered an improved
software interface that emulated an Icom command structure as only a few 3rd
parties had made provisions for the original model. The new software also
provided slick features like band stacking registers. Finally, the Paragon
II allowed AM transmit while the original could only receive AM.

>From an operating point of view, you can get almost all the software
features of the Paragon II in the original model by installing a Geihl chip,
which provides the band-stacking registers along with several other goodies
like a few more memories, a more verbose voice readout and better time/date
display. N4PY now makes a similar chip that even provides the Icom command
structure for computer control. The only thing you can't do to the original
to make it like the Paragon II is add AM transmit. Neither have internal
keyers.

The Paragon is a great radio, and most current owners love them. It had some
early teething problems, as expected with a rig that was a significant
departure from previous designs, but they were resolved and the radio became
very stable. They are a pleasure to operate, perform equal or better to the
best radios of the time, and continue to hold up well today. They even are
ready to go on 60 meters (or any other HF changes) with a simple clip of a
marked lead. I have an original 585 Paragon with every option except the FM
board and I find the receive audio is superb, the filters are very effective
without ringing or other artifacts, the QSK is typically great Ten Tec
stuff, and the transmit audio gets compliments. I often find I can hear
signals that others cannot (perhaps helped because I live in a rural
low-noise area) and am not as bothered by adjacent QRM as others seem to be.
The ability to SWL is a nice bonus. The only modern feature missing was some
sort of DSP filtering, but I added that by adding the circuitry from a
Clear-Speech ADSP system to the inside of the external p/s-speaker
controlled from the front panel power switch and even enjoy that capability
now. I cannot imaging parting with this radio.

=Vic=
WA4THR

To:  tentec at contesting.com
Subject:  [TenTec] Paragon II question
From:  John Geiger <johngeig at yahoo.com>
Date:  Tue, 20 Feb 2007 19:13:35 -0800 (PST)

I can find very little on-line about the Ten Tec
Paragon II.  Is it just an updated Paragon, and if so,
what were the main differences?  Or is it a vastly
improved rig?  Does it have an internal keyer, and
what is it like as a rig overall?

73s John W5TD