[TenTec] Grounding

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Tue Jan 9 23:37:39 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 20:05 -0700, M. Todd Miskel wrote:
> Tnx AA6E for the info. So basically the people talking about running a ground rod with 33' (or other lengths)  radials are talking more of a counterpoise system than an RF ground...correct?  I have heard that an effective counterpoise system can enhance your antenna performance quite a bit. I was planning on trying a counterpoise system to solve a small RF problem in my shack, but now it seems it may enhance my problem rather than help it.
>
> What I wouldn't give for 40+ acres right now...if I could afford it   Hi Hi....   73, Todd
 Lots of counterpoise at the antenna help it radiate by reducing losses
of ground currents that contribute to antenna radiation patterns.

Counterpoises at the radio can sometimes lower then RF voltage on the
radio cabinet when the counterpoise wire is near earth and is a quarter
wave long with the other end open. Its helps if its at right angles to
the antenna and not in the direction of the antenna.

73, Jerry, K0CQ