[TenTec] Omni VI+ auxillary antenna problem

Thomas ac7a at cox.net
Sat Jan 13 21:04:39 EST 2007

After many months of attempting to get my K9AY receive loop working with
no success, I finally found the source of the problem. It's not the K9AY
loop, feedline, or eternal preamp, but instead a problem with my Omni
VI+'s axillary antenna function. I proved this today with my K2 which
has a receive antenna input. Everything worked pretty well with it. When
the Omni's axillary switch is depressed the main antenna is disconnected
while in the receive mode, but virtually no signal is received from the
axillary antenna.I studied the schematic and it shows that when using
the axillary antenna a couple of  MPN3700 PIN diodes in the signal path
are biased up during receive.

The axillary antenna function worked a few years ago when I last used it
with a small loop antenna, but since then something has changed. I am
trying to get all this working before CQWW160 in a couple of weeks, so I
don't have time to send it back to the factory for repair. Has anyone
else has a problem like this?

Any assistance is appreciated.

'73, Thomas - AC7A