[TenTec] Omni VI tracking

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at hawaiiantel.net
Mon Jan 15 15:44:33 EST 2007

Hi Doug,

I want to understand how this can be. It is not making sense to me.

Here is what I know, from the Omni VI schematics, and from reason:

In SSB modes there is no change, between transmit and receive, in the
logic states of the control lines to the BFO. The same crystal and
trimmer capacitors are in circuit for transmit as in receive. With RIT
and XIT turned off and operating transceive using a single "virtual VFO"
(that is to say not in split mode) all the other oscillators should also
be operating on the same frequency in transmit as in receive. If the
master reference oscillator were off frequency, then the frequency
indicated by the readout would be incorrect, yet the transmit and
receive frequencies would be the same.

In CW mode, there is a change in the BFO between transmit and receive,
and there is also a change in the VFO frequency, in order to accomplish
the adjustable sidetone feature. If either of the two BFO frequencies
used for CW TX and RX were not right, there would be an offset between a
received signal zero beated to the sidetone, and your transmit
frequency. Or if the BFO frequencies were perfectly adjusted, the
sidetone frequency and the shift in the VFO would be wrong if the master
reference oscillator was wrong.

I see how there could be an offset in CW, due to misaligned master
reference oscillator, and I do not see how there could be an offset in SSB.

I am not denying your experience. I just do not understand it.

Ken N6KB