[TenTec] Omni VI vs Orion

Gary Tuck gtuck at mac.com
Wed Jan 17 18:50:30 EST 2007

Couple of comments--

TT posted the Omni VI specs this morning and while they seem to be
better than the competition, I don't believe the close in dynamic
range is greater than the VI+ and certainly not after an InRad
roofing filter install.  Still like to play with one though ;-)

I have 115 kv power lines nearby.  Last time they kicked up, it took
the local utility five months to find and fix the offending pole.
Sputtering and hissing started again yesterday.  The NB in the Omni VI
+ did a creditable job knocking down the noise but I had to bypass
the InRad roofing filter.  Strong signals overloaded the receiver
badly.   The Orion firmware NB may have helped a bit but the hardware
NB took out the noise completely.  Strong signals nearby also
affected the receiver but not quite as badly as the VI+ it seemed.

73, Gary W7TEA