[TenTec] Orion RF issue

Ron Castro ronc at sonic.net
Fri Jan 26 12:03:17 EST 2007

Absolutely you should ground your tower to your shack, as well as to your AC
ground with no less than a #4 conductor, which I believe is an NEC
requirement.  The problem arises when there is a lightning strike, in which
case you want every single conductor in your home to have exactly the same
voltage so there is no potential difference that could kill you or your
equipment.  Of course, with 20 megavolts, the tiniest of resistance will
cause a fairly big potential difference, but you want to do everything you
can to keep it as low as possible.  That's why it's best to establish an
"entrance window" where everything is 'star' grounded to a master ground
point.

Of course, that's not an RF ground, but it may help in many cases,
especially on the lower frequencies.  You can break up ground loops by using
ferrites, and a good place to start on this one might be in the cable from
the power supply to the radio and/or the power supply to the AC.

      Ron N6IE
 www.N6IE.com
(Formerly N6AHA)