[TenTec] superb vox

Ron Castro ronc at sonic.net
Mon Mar 5 12:36:11 EST 2007

I agree that the Orion 2 has by far the best VOX I have ever used, however I
don't think there are any 'magic numbers' that will work for everyone.  The
settings for any individual station are effected by:

1. The type of mic you're using.
2. Any processing equipment between the mic and the radio (W2IHY, etc.) and
the settings on that equipment.
3. The setting of the variable input pad on the radio (the little adjustment
in the hole on the underside of the radio near the mic connector).
4. The mic input level setting, including the new menu setting that showed
up in the latest FW update.
5. Your voice characteristics and how loud you're talking.
6.  The acoustics of the room, including ambient noise, such as kids
hollering, dogs barking, neighbors complaining loudly about TVI :~).
7. How close you 'work' the mic.
8. How you're operating (contest, rag-chew, 'trying-not-to-wake-the-kids/XYL
mode, etc.)

I usually set my level around 12/13 with drop-out delay at .45 for
'fast-break net' or .25 for contest.  I leave the Anti-VOX set at the
default level of 20, but since I almost always use headphones, that setting
is unimportant.  Remember that the VOX level adjust increases sensitivity as
the number decreases...kind of backward from what you would expect.

BTW...the thing with the neighbor shouting about TVI did actually happen to
me during the contest this weekend. Didn't trip the VOX, but my wife was
freaked out.  It was the 'final straw' that made me decide to start looking
for a new QTH in the country!

      Ron Castro
Chief Technical Officer
  Results Radio, LLC