[TenTec] Elecraft K3 vs Orion a bit premature?

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Thu May 3 18:22:55 EDT 2007

Farming out work is not always a good thing (for reasons that have nothing
to do with ham radio) depending on the circumstances.  If a small shop has
some piecemeal work or highly specialized work that needs to be done but not
enough to keep a full-time employee occupied, that's one thing.   An auto
shop sending out automatic transmission work for example.

However, it becomes a problem when a business farms out work to get out of
establishing a full-time job and paying benefits and medical insurance.
There are a lot of people these days who are "employed"  but not really
employed, if you define employed as meaning a fair wage possibly with
collective bargaining.   Politicians like to talk about all the jobs being
created and the low unemployment, but they are mostly part-time or on-call
jobs and not the kind of jobs that give people financial security and a
future.  If Ten Tec creates good jobs by not farming out work, more power to
them because we need those jobs.

Unrelated note:  When you shop at stores with "self-checkout" do you use
those facilities?  If you do, you are helping retail businesses use machines
to avoid creating jobs that people need.

73,

rob / k5uj

Ron.... from the prospective of these dinky American radio companies
(Flex and Elecraft) , why would they lie and put out bad info? We all
know that both these companies are credible with their products'
claims.  I do not see them needing to do this because they went
outside their company for firmware / software design. This is
completely documented. Ten-Tec, on the other hand  announced today
that all software / firmware work on Orion / Orion II / OMNI VII and
others was all done in house. These little companies went out of
house to have a really nice and functional product. I look forward to
confirmation of the numbers by ARRL and others. Not buying Ten Tec
any time soon!  From what I read, they should probably seek outside
help for their software as well.... at least for the ORION's.  73's
Dick   W5AK