[TenTec] OMIN VII

Sat Nov 3 14:33:33 EST 2007

To Doug's comments I add.............  I have been a Tentec user since the
late 70's.  I've had the Delta, a couple of earlier Omni's, a Paragon, later
an Omni VI Plus, a Paragon II, another Omni VI Plus because I missed the RX
quality of the earlier radios.  Within the past 90 days, I've sold the Omni
VI Plus station and traded the Paragon II station in on a Omni VII.  I was
amazed when I have had people call me after finishing a QSO and ask what I
was using.  This is prompted by their praise of the transmit audio.  I use a
708A mike.  This hasn't happen once or twice but almost every time I'm on
the bands.  I work 160 SSB and 75 SSB mostly and a bit of 40 M SSB as well
as some digital modes, PSK-31 and yes, a bit of CW too.  The receiver is
great, easy to use, and makes digging sigs out of the noise a real pleasure.
It's fundamental RX operation is a good bit different than earlier radios
and most others on the market today.  It takes a change of mindset {at least
with me} and once done the performance is outstanding.  Along with the
standard filters I added a 500 Hz filter.

My Omni VII interfaced with the Tentec Centurion amp as easy as unplugging
the cables from the Omni VI Plus and plugging them into the Omni VII.  A
side note, it also interfaced with my VHF and UHF transverter {DownEast
Microwave} equipment with only a plug in of the cables.  As to using it on
PSK-31, the cable furnished by Tentec that plugs in the back of the radio
has RCA connectors on the opposite end.  These along with the correct
connector adapters allow it to interface direct with the sound card in my
computer.  Often on PSK-31 I am asked what type of interface do I use?  The
answer is "wire and connectors"  no transformers, no opto isolators, no
level inverting stages, no attenuators..........just wire and connectors.
There is a real line level input with separate level adjustment from the
mike level adjustment.  Plus one can select mike input or line input or both
from the easy to use menu.  Now that's real "plug 'n play" in my book.

As to the Orion and Orion II, these are both excellent radios although they
went through a birthing period of new technology and new firmware.  I had
one for about 90 days to do an evaluation for a DX club.  It is one
fantastic radio, but..... with caution I add, it is not a radio most would
enjoy using on a casual basis.  It is a serious high performance contest
radio.  It provides the utmost in flexibility with regard to receiver
performance attributes.   Here is an area where most hams get in trouble.
There's enough user available infinite adjustable parameters that it is easy
for one to get in deep trouble with this radio.  At that point typically one
hasn't left a trail of bread crumbs to follow back to the beginning an thus
a master reset is done and the need to start all over.  Again, unless one is
very careful and often making detailed notes of the changes they apply,
again when things get strange, there's no clear path to reverse the changes.

As a side note, the current market of $7000 to $10,000 radios are not as
good as the Orion II with its current version of firmware.  I know, I've had
them side by side for a real A/B comparison.

Back to the Omni VII.  While it has a lot of adjustable parameters, there's
some that make changes a snap to apply.  Otherwise three or four selections
in place of an infinite number of settings.  The menu is clean, easy to
understand and only one level deep.  The display is crisp and uncluttered.
I'd strongly suggest that one sit down, and not in front of the radio, and
read the manual from cover to cover at least once or twice.  The manual is
written in clear concise non-technical language and it is a pleasure to
read.  You'll fine it easy to understand and apply to the radio operation.

Now I know that to some extent, I'm preaching to the choir.  If you have
questions, ask.  If you want to hear the radio, let me know and we'll try a
schedule.

73
Bob, K4TAX