[TenTec] FW: ARLX007 Motorola buys Yaesu

Kevin Purcell kevinpurcell at pobox.com
Wed Nov 7 02:43:19 EST 2007

Moto will, however, own 80% of it. And usually 51% is enough
depending on the contract they signed :-)

The speculation (and it is speculation) is founded on the "normal"
corporate pattern of of focusing on money to the exclusion of
everything else (even if "everything else" is making a profit if that
profit is less than the profit that they could be making producing
other products). A corporate mindset cares only about next years
numbers and then you may be in another position.

One thing I didn't realize was that Yaesu was privately held. That
gave the owners a lot of freedom to decide what products they wish to
make. If "Yaesu-san" decides amateur radio is a good idea then Yaesu
makes amateur radios. When suit who has "stockholder fiduciary
interest" (note the quotes) gets in that position I wouldn't be too
sure.

It made me think what are the corporate structures of Icom and
Kenwood? Ten Tec I presume is privately held, along with Elecraft.
And I presume there is no venture money in either of the latter
companies.

Anyone know what the profit margin is on amateur radio equipment? How
does it compare to commercial (or perish the thought) defense/
security products?

Expect to start to see changes in a year or so if they do make
changes. No point in controlling something if you can't make changes.
It shows who is in charge. But I really don't see it being a portable
component of the company -- they might sell the current designs but
what about future designs? So I don't buy MFJ buying it.

* My cynical view of corporate behavior is based on having been
through a couple of mergers/takeovers. They're often disasters with
babies being thrown out with the bathwater.

--
73 DE N7WIM / G8UDP
Kevin Purcell
kevinpurcell at pobox.com