[TenTec] Orion II - Power up problem - Fixed

Joe KX4JR kx4jr at bellsouth.net
Sat Nov 17 17:04:18 EST 2007

I just had the same problem....even to replacing the A9 board...no luck.
Then I called TT again and as I described the setup from Astron PS thru
to the Orion 2, I mentioned that I used a power strip that I'd
been using for years....This ran a bell and checking the 12v dc from the
power strip to the O2 showed that the 13.8 vdc dropped to ~ 1.4 vdc when
the rig was turned on...no activity in the rig--no smoke--nothing.
I was advised to by-pass the power strip as they'd heard of problems here
(the TT O2 rcvr draws ~4 amps on startup).  By-passed the power strip and
wallah----rig came up and worked fb.  Now I have two A9 boards...
What next. HI hi. 73', Joe, KX4JR