[TenTec] OT: RFI from Plasma TV?

Tue Nov 20 12:57:41 EST 2007

I totally concur with Ron.  In many cases, sloppy installed F connectors on
TV coax lines and interconnect cables contributes to some degree of
radiation.  Additionally, filtering on the AC line at the TV, using donut
torroids or the clamp on torroids will cure the concerns.  As to the use of
"surge protectors, noise filter AC strips",  I don't put much value in them.
They still leave the power cord with some ability to radiate and thus
unprotected.  As to surge protection, the best surge protection is
accomplished by installing or having installed a "secondary surge arrestor"
at your main breaker panel.  These are available from your power company for
a monthly fee or from your local electrical supplier for some $30 or so.

Usually RFI into sound systems is the result of RF induced into the speaker
lines and being rectified by the junction in the output device of the amp.
Again a donut or clamp on torroid devices installed with 5 to 7 turns of
speaker line and mounted close as practical to the amp is the cure.  I do
not advocate hanging a bunch of C's across the lines as this can effect amp
electrical stability or audio response.

As to HDTV, yes I'm a believer.  Simply outstanding picture quality.  And
you might as well prepare for what's coming and get ready.  In the very near
future all analog TV transmitters will be turned off.  If you don't have one
of the new HD TV's then you may end up having to get a down converter from
your cable company or satellite provider.

In my operation, no TVI even at legal limit HF power, and having the TV
antenna side mounted on the tower that supports the ham antennas.  All TV
stations are some 65 miles or more distance.  No TVI what so ever!  Good
clean installation and good coax makes for success.

73
Bob, K4TAX