[TenTec] Omni VII Question

Dennis OConnor ad4hk2004 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 4 07:55:04 EDT 2007

Too much hiss? Turn the RF gain down...
  With no tune, everything automatic radios, the new generation of hams operating rice boxes have become too used to plugging it in, turning it on, and operating...
  They never learned the lessons that we old farts, who had to make do with the single IF stage, no crystal filter, barn door wide front end, junkboxes that passed for radios on those days knew by heart...
  If you really want to heat that weak signal on a noisy band - turn off the AGC, turn down the RF gain, turn up the audio big time, go to a wider filter, use headphones, and ride the RF gain as your volume control...

  I'm running an Orion and I still do this on a really weak one...

  denny / k8do

denny / k8do