[TenTec] tuning and transmiting the delta 580

Stuart Rohre rohre at arlut.utexas.edu
Thu Sep 6 19:07:57 EDT 2007

Normally you tune up in CW mode, and then swich to SSB for voice ops.

To test the mike, you can find out which two wires are the mike audio
itself.  Then, hook onto those pins of  the plug, (mike off the radio), and
go into an AC DVM scale.  Or even the low AC scale of  a VOM, if it is
20,000 ohms per volt type.  Speaking into the mike, if it is good---you will
see a few millivolts of AC generated.

This is more easily seen on an analog meter rather than a digital meter, due
to the dwell time of the pointer.

This works for mikes that either are self powered, or dynamic or crystal and
don't need power to operate.  An electret mike can have its own battery, or
may rob power from the radio, so be sure of the type of mike you have before
testing.

I don't know about the ALC button on this particular rig.
Most rigs have a way for you to switch metering from ALC to something else
like Collector current, but I don't have that model of Ten Tec.  ALC is a
light that flashes on my Scout and Argonaut V.

Does your rig have a mike gain control?  It was not set at minimum was it?

-Stuart
K5KVH