[TenTec] More ARRL Lab Data

John Rippey w3uls73 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 10:51:08 EDT 2007

The October review of the FT-2000D in QST, now posted, contains an
article by Mike Tracy outlining further refinements in the Lab's
testing regimen.  Oh, brother, he's leaving me behind.

What comes through for me in the October review is that the FT-2000,
along with the PRO III of the DSP rigs, has to labor long and hard to
equal the IMD3 results for the discontinued Mark V, and do not equal
the IMD3 of an unmodified OMNI VI.

So if one wants to remain analog, you can go with an INRAD roofing
filter mod and be well ahead of the game.  Of course, there are
refinements in the DSP rigs that make them (perhaps) more fun to use,
but the basics have yet to be bettered. (Exceptions, ORION and
IC-7800, but then you get with these high-performing rigs the
troublesome DSP/AGC artifacts R. Sherwood has noted.)

Does the OMNI VII avoid the DSP artifacts bug?

73,
John, W3ULS