[TenTec] 260 vs 961 PS

Thu Sep 27 21:30:03 EDT 2007

In general the supplies are rated for ICAS.  Typical of a 100 watt output
radio is the requirement for about 20 to 22 amps at 13.8 VDC.  The supply
has a AUX output rated at 3 amps.  So figure the supply good for about 25
amps but this is not 25 amps CCS but ICAS.  The over current trip is
adjustable and usually set for about 22 to 25 amps.

I've noticed with high duty cycle modes such as RTTY, Slow Scan, high speed
CW and such that additional cooling is desired.  I used a 12VDC fan, powered
from one of the AUX jacks,  made a couple of metal "L" brackets bolted them
to the fan and gently pushed the legs between the top of the heat sink and
the top of the power supply case with the airflow directed at the heat sink.
No holes were drilled in the supply.  It allows the supply to run a lot
cooler.

All in all, I've encountered one power supply failure in 15+ years and with
only one of the 4 that I've owned.  That failure was the bridge rectifier
mounted on the base plate.  In examination of the failure, I found
inadequate heat sink compound thus inadequate conduction cooling of the
item, to be the likely cause of failure.  I replaced the item, added a small
amount of white heat sink compound and the supply came to life and lived for
10+ years.  I have since sold the unit and I presume it is alive and well.

As I recall, the difference between the 961 and 962 is the over voltage
protection circuit in the 962.  Tentec offers the same trade-in value on
either of them.

73
Bob, K4TAX