[TenTec] ID Ten T Error

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Mon Aug 11 19:01:12 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 15:23 -0400, Ron Notarius W3WN wrote:
> Well, I have a chuckle when I hear about someone else doing this; since it's
> my turn, I might as well own up to it.
>
> I've had a small but annoying problem with my Corsair II lately.  Every time
> I'd put it in CW, I got nothing but a steady stream of dits and dahs.
> (Current and former Corsair owners probably already know the punch line of
> this one!)  Since I only had one set of paddles, which were on the other
> rig, I just pretty much ignored it, figuring I'd get to it One Of These
> Days.
>
> One Of These Days turned out to be this morning.  W3WH came over to help me
> kick off a few days of vacation by bringing over his compressed air tennis
> ball shooter, and we got my long wire/inverted "L" back in the air.  After
> getting the wire back up, of course we adjourn to the shack to check it.  At
> which point Bill & I talk about the Corsair's problem.
>
> So, I pull the rig out, Bill takes one look at the back, and says... "you
> know you have the speaker plugged into the paddles jack."
>
> D'oh!
>
> This is what we call at work an ID Ten T error.  (If you're not sure why,
> substitute the number for the word).
>
> Needless to say, one quick switch of the jack, and all was right with the
> world.  We even had enough time left over, thanks to the help of NB3C, to
> swap my Butternut verticals around.
>
> And then the band switch knob fails.  *sigh*
>
> If anyone has a spare matching knob for the Corsair II band switch, please
> contact me directly.  It would be greatly appreciated!
>
> 73, ron w3wn

I was successful in repairing my band switch knob. It has a central hub
and an outer hand ring with a gap between. The inner hub split. I was
able to bend so aluminum piece to fit the gap which I epoxied in place.
Then the setscrew could push against something solid again. it might
work just to close up the split hub and fill the gap with epoxy.

73, Jerry, K0CQ