[TenTec] 229A Tuner question

Rick Denney rick at rickdenney.com
Wed Aug 13 15:55:53 EDT 2008

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson writes...

> On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 09:17 -0700, David Cuttler wrote:
>> ... If someone has a better idea, I am all ears.
>>

> Install a master switch for the whole hamshack. Then the wall wart works
> simply and when you shut down, you open the master switch taking power
> off all but the clock (or go to a battery clock, I compute one AA
> alkaline every two years is cheaper than 3 watts 24/7/52). A good outlet
> strip can be that master switch for a beginning.

I just built a power cord using Powerpoles that plugs into my 12VDC
power strip. I have a 961 power supply for the Omni V (primarily to
get the over-current protection), but I use an Astron to power all my
other 12-volt devices. When I'm not in the shack, the Astron gets
turned off, which has the same effect as Jerry's advice above. My
power cord for the 229 is just an RCA plug on one end and powerpoles
on the other end, of course. I try to minimize my use of wall warts,
just because I hate the things, and because my Astron probably has
better regulation than most of them.

I'm no fan of Ten Tec's use of RCA plugs for 12 volts. That seems to
me asking for trouble as a result of an inattentive moment. I would
prefer RCA plugs be used for at most line-level audio. I would hate to
accidentally plug, say, my keyer into the 12VDC jack on the back of my
Omni, and I'm just klutzy enough to make that mistake when fumbling
around in the back of the rig. But I haven't done anything about it,
heh, heh.

Rick, KR9D