[TenTec] Band Scopes

Rsoifer at aol.com Rsoifer at aol.com
Fri Aug 22 10:52:28 EDT 2008

Hi Bob,

Yes, I've checked out the reviews, etc., of the K3, as have many on this
list.  It's not a simple process, because of the way Elecraft has chosen to market
it: there is the bare-bones radio and then there are so many options that
it's rather like ordering dinner a la carte in a fancy restaurant.

By the time you get done with making up a "fully loaded" K3, you get a price
that's not too far below that of my O II, which has everything except the
antenna tuner and remote pod.

>From my point of view as a DXer who participates only casually in contests,
the main advantage of the "loaded" K3 over the O II that I can see is the K3's
optional 200 Hz roofing filter vs. the O II's 300 Hz filter, and even that
difference is pretty marginal.  If I were into going on expeditions, the K3's
smaller size would be a big advantage, but I'm not (these days).

That's just one ham's highly subjective opinion, of course.  Others,
especially serious contesters, will have their own views and I'd be interested in
seeing them.

73 Ray W2RS