[TenTec] Time Sharing Radio Access?

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Tue Dec 16 12:48:06 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 05:22 -0800, Dennis OConnor wrote:
> I see the entrepreneurial spirit rising here... For anyone thinking of starting a small business be very careful of running afoul of the Justice Department... The federal regs are crystal clear about charging for the use of ham frequencies - thou shalt not...  This is just the sort of absolutely minor technical violation of federal law that prosecutors live to jam folks up for...
>
> Now having mentioned that - let me say that getting a group together to construct a remote control station is an absolutely great project for those who live where they cannot have a station...  Just a few years ago this was the sort of thing that only some well-to-do techy geek could pull off....
> Today it is off the shelf...  For example, the Omni 7 is designed for exactly this type of service - hint, hint...
> There is an article in this months QST on using the remote computer control present in all current versions of WINDOWS - primarily mentioned  XP and Vista, but also present in older Windows...
> I see ads in the magazines for computer control software aimed for remote station control... And some folks posting on contesting.com are in that very software business...
> Many of the high end antenna rotators are designed for digital control...
> Some of the high end amplifiers also...
> All it requires is the will to do it and the energy to find other folks and put it together... The hardware and software already exists...
>
> denny / k8do

There are existing clubs in the area. More at the military posts, often
MARS stations, like at Ft. Belvoir. There were enough operation
positions at Ft. Belvoir when I was last there (some 40 years ago) for
ham band operations at the same time they were running patches from Nam.

Then there are EOCs that sit cold between emergency exercises that would
benefit from being used. Clubs and agencies that own those should
welcome more members and users.

And there are contest stations that are often set up as
multiple/multiple operations that aren't very active away from contest
weekends.

The big problem with an internet link is keeping it to only authorized
users. But the remote ethernet link might use ham band RF on 24 or 47
GHz and be fairly private.

73, Jerry, K0CQ